Featured Golf News
100 Years of Banff Golf Kicks off Canadian Rockies Golf Destination 2011 Primer
The Canadian Rockies Golf Consortia (www.canadianrockiesgolf.ca) will celebrate 100 years of golf in Banff in 2011, along with new course upgrades and activities off the links, reports the Alberta destination.
14th Hole at Fairmont Banff Springs Golf Club
The Fairmont Banff Springs Golf Club will honor the centenary with a commemorative book and events as they pay homage to those who have shaped the course located within a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
"The Fairmont Banff Springs Golf Course connects nature with the ancient game of golf in ways few can claim," said director of golf Steven Young. "Breath-taking scenery complements Stanley Thompson's genius layout on this extraordinary land."
The Fairmont Banff Springs will release its stay and play offerings in March.
Canmore Golf & Curling Club Renovations to be Completed in late Spring
Celebrating its 85th Anniversary this year, Canmore Golf and Curling Club will give itself a new second hole as a gift, along with several other upgrades to the course.
The course's abandoned 11th hole will be reversed and used as the new par-3 second, situated adjacent to the old No. 2. The new routing will take advantage of water features and a precise approach to the new green.
Seven other holes have been upgraded with new tee boxes, bunkers, or mounding.
The clubhouse is also being renovated. It will include a two-sided fireplace on its windowed back wall, offering views of the mountains.
The course will be fully operational by its scheduled April 22 season opener.
Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge Offers Golf Spa Treatments for First Time in 2011
Following a late 2010 opening, the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge's new spa will be ready for the 2011 golf season with a series of services. The Golf and Spa Retreat is chief among them - a 90-minute service that includes a stretch massage, foot bath and hydrating wrap. A Golfers Massage and Active Outdoors Facial are also on the list of services offered at the 10,000-square-foot facility, located on the new Promenade shopping area of the resort.
Kananaskis Country, Silvertip, Stewart Creek Set for 2011
Three courses will open their tee sheets for 2011 bookings beginning in less than a month.
Silvertip Golf Resort starts early bookings on Tuesday, February 1, for play beginning May 19. Prepaid rounds are now being sold for $125 per round - a $50 discount for those who book early.
Kananaskis Country Golf Course will offer tee times on its Mt. Lorette and Mt. Kidd courses beginning February 22 online, or via phone on February 28 for this spring, and is actively filling its tournament schedule for the 2011 season. Individual greens fees can be purchased online for $95, or $65 for seniors and juniors and include a shared cart.
Stewart Creek Golf & Country Club is currently selling tee times for groups of 16 golfers or more and will officially open its tee sheet to all others on March 1.
To customize a stay-and-play package in the Canadian Rockies, visit www.canadianrockiesgolf.ca, including the popular Heritage Classic with rounds and accommodations in this popular destination.
About Canadian Rockies Golf
Website visitors can view stay-and-play packages and request custom quotes for trips and packages or call 877/323-3633 for more information.
The acclaim and attributes of the six members of the destination - "Canadian Rockies Golf: Historic. Dramatic Untamed" - include:
1. Canmore Golf and Curling Club (www.canmoregolf.net, 888/678-4785)
• Celebrating 85 years of golf in 2011
• Valley-based property requires players use all clubs in their bag, narrow fairways challenge all levels of golfers.
• Tree-lined course, friendly community atmosphere provides intimacy and camaraderie
• Located at base of Bow Valley, glacier-fed streams lace through course
2. The Fairmont Banff Springs (www.fairmont.com/banffsprings, 800/441-1414)
• Celebrating 100 years of golf in 2011
• Historic course and Conde Nast Gold winner for its castle-like hotel, award-winning Willow Stream Spa and exquisite resort amenities
• 27 holes of golf - 18 Stanley Thompson-designed holes including the 200-yard, par-3 Devil's Cauldron, 147 bunkers, and the 9-hole Tunnel Course
• Panoramic beauty, picturesque-mountain setting nestled between Sulphur Mountain and Mount Rundle
• Situated in Banff National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
• Golf Digest "Top 5 Resort in North America," "Best 25 International Golf Hotels" and "Best 100 Courses Outside the USA" ; GOLF Magazine "Best Lodging in Canada" and "Top 3 Golf Course in Canada"
3. The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge (www.fairmont.com/jasper, 800/441-1414)
• Voted Best Golf Resort in Canada by ScoreGolf Magazine
• Featuring the "wild side of the Rockies" - elk, caribou, coyote, bear and wolves inhabit the national park
• Designed by Stanley Thompson, the 18 holes carve contours at the feet of mountains
• Located in the heart of Jasper National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
• Golf Digest "Best 100 Courses Outside the USA"
• GOLF Magazine "Top 3 Lodging in Canada" and "Top 3 Golf Course in Canada"
4. Kananaskis Country Golf Course (www.kananaskisgolf.com, 877/591-2525)
• Robert Trent Jones Sr. exquisitely designed courses, situated in serene Kananaskis Country
• 36 holes played beneath breathtaking Mt. Lorette and Mt. Kidd, after which the courses are respectively named
• Features immaculate lush fairways, famed island-like 4th green on Mt. Kidd course, 140+ silica sand bunkers and the cascading Kananaskis River
• 2009 Canadian PGA Professional and Merchandiser of the Year
• SCORE Golf! "Top 5 Best Public Courses to Play"
5. Silvertip Golf Resort (www.silvertipresort.com, 877/877-5444)
• Home course of PGA Tour Member and 2006 Players Champion Stephen Ames
• Golf Digest rated 4 ½ stars and lauded for environmental sensitivity and maintenance practices
• 600 feet of elevation change, including dramatic par-4 18th with extreme altitude drop from tee to fairway, fairway to green
• Wine Spectator 2009 and 2010 "List of Excellence" Award for Rustica Steakhouse
• 2009 Golf Digest Environmental Leader Award
6. Stewart Creek Golf & Country Club (www.stewartcreekgolf.com/golf, 877/993-4653)
• Golf Digest rated 4 ½ stars
• Surrounded by the spellbinding Three Sisters Mountains, practically close enough to touch during play
• Audubon-certified course preserves habitat for plentiful wildlife
• SCORE Golf! "Top 5 Best Public Courses to Play"
|Print this Story|