Featured Golf News
British Open Returns to St. Andrews In 2010
The Open Championship will return to St Andrews in 2010. The event will be held July 15-18. The championship will mark the 150th anniversary of the first Open in 1860 at Prestwick.
On October, 17, 1860, a mere eight players competed over three rounds of 12 holes against a bogey of 144. From that humble beginning, the British Open has grown to be recognized throughout the world as the most venerable of the four major golf championships.
In contemporary times, a field of 156 players competes for the custody of the Claret Jug and prize money exceeding $6 million, a somewhat greater reward than the Championship Belt that Willie Park Sr. received for his two-shot win in the inaugural tournament.
Prestwick hosted the Open another 23 times, the last being in 1925. It is a total only exceeded by St. Andrews, now the most frequently used venue. In 2010, the “Home of Golf” will be hosting its 28th Open. The Old Course at St. Andrews was first used for the Open in 1873. Most recently, it hosted the 2005 championship that was memorable for Tiger Woods' second Open title and Jack Nicklaus' final championship round.
International Qualifying now takes place on five continents. Local Final Qualifying represents the last chance for non-exempt players to gain a place in the field. In 2010, the LFQ courses will be Kingsbarns, Ladybank, Scotscraig and St. Andrews Bay-Torrance course. This will be the first time that Kingsbarns and St. Andrews Bay have hosted Local Final Qualifying.
Also, in 2010, the Junior Open will take place at Leven Links and Lundin Golf Club, courses that in the past have hosted a number of R&A championships, including Local Final Qualifying.