Featured Golf News
Rocky Gap Lodge & Golf Resort Benefits Maryland
Rocky Gap Lodge & Golf Resort in Cumberland, Md., continues to spur local, state and regional economies and has boosted the state’s tourism portfolio. Nestled in the 3,200-acre Rocky Gap State Park, the resort has launched dozens of careers and the money generated by the facility has been returned to the economy many times over.
"Economic development has boomed in Western Maryland since Rocky Gap opened," said Cumberland Mayor Lee Fiedler. "Cumberland has seen revitalization in its downtown and surrounding areas as more businesses relocate to the region. We use the resort to attract more investment to the region and for special business development events throughout the year."
Allegany County Commissioner Jim Stakem estimates Rocky Gap's impact can be felt well beyond the borders of the state. "The Rocky Gap Lodge and Golf Resort is a jewel of Western Maryland," Stakem says. "The vision for Rocky Gap was for the resort to spur economic development in the region, provide jobs to the community and serve guests from the Mid-Atlantic States. It has certainly done a great job in all three areas."
Here is a list of some of the resort’s economic benefits to the region:
• Rocky Gap employs 310 employees in high season and has launched the careers of many county and regional residents since opening in 1999. The impact of these employees has put more than $630,000 a year back into local banks, grocery stores and other businesses.
• Guests at Rocky Gap who visit Cumberland and surrounding areas spent more than $15.1 million in 2005 and will spend more than $16 million in the local economy in 2006.
• In 2005, 161,345 guests enjoyed the resort, golf course, activities and spa.
• Rocky Gap paid local vendors more than $1.49 million for goods and services in 2005 and will spend more than $1.6 million in 2006.
• Rocky Gap hosted nearly 700 events in 2005.
• In 2006, 20,000 rounds of golf will be played at Rocky Gap - home to Maryland's only Jack Nicklaus Signature-designed course.
• In 2006, 8,125 spa treatments will be given at the Garden Spa.
• Rocky Gap supports local organizations and charities and has hosted events such as the March of Dimes Celebrity Chefs fundraiser, the Lighthouse Academy event and the American Red Cross Mountain Reflections benefit.
• Since the resort was built, the occupancy of Rocky Gap State Park and campground areas has seen more than a 60-percent jump in day-use visitors and campers making the park one of the busiest in the region.
"We have had a tremendous impact on the local economy,” says Rocky Gap general manager Steele Edwards. "Rocky Gap creates jobs, purchases local goods and services, and hosts more than 160,000 guests each year. I look forward to continued growth and being a good corporate citizen for the entire Western Maryland Region."
About Rocky Gap Lodge & Golf Resort
Rocky Gap Lodge & Golf Resort is a 216-room facility located on a 243-acre lake in the mountains of Western Maryland. The resort, a four-diamond AAA facility, features a Garden Spa, a Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Course and an on-property adventure outfitter for horseback riding, hiking and biking, whitewater rafting and corporate team building. Rocky Gap Lodge and Golf Resort is managed by Crestline Hotels & Resorts, Inc., one of the nation's largest independent hospitality management companies. Founded in 2000, the Company presently manages 43 hotels, resorts and conference and convention centers with over 10,400 rooms in 12 states and the District of Columbia. Crestline Hotels & Resorts manages properties independently and under such well-regarded brands as Marriott, Hilton, Westin, Renaissance, Sheraton, Crowne Plaza and Wyndham.